Do you know how to convince prospects to hire you for a freelance writing job? What do your marketing materials tell prospective clients about the benefits of using a freelance writer?
When you negotiate with your freelance writing clients about project fees, how do you present yourself? Do you focus on how your expertise can be used to benefit the client? How you will work with the client’s staff as part of the team? Do you emphasize your product knowledge to get spin-off projects? Do you use testimonials from your satisfied clients to win over prospects? Do you get referrals to new clients, so you’re no longer a stranger?
8 Ways to Sell Yourself to Clients
1. Freelancer writers offer flexibility to meet your communications needs, whenever those needs occur, for whatever type of project you have in mind, for the time period you need help. Freelancers help you effectively and efficiently allocate your people and other resources.
2. Freelance writers provide the help you need–just when you need it. If you’re downsizing, they can fill your temporary needs without the necessity of hiring another employee. If you’re growing rapidly and your staff has more work than it can handle, you can use freelance writers to fill in the gaps.
3. Freelance writers provide the specific services you need. No one individual knows or can do everything. They offer know-how in the particular areas you’re seeking.
4. Freelance writers supplement and compliment your team’s capabilities. They can provide a new perspective and add special expertise.
5. Freelance writers let you delegate writing responsibilities, so you and your staff can do what you do best. Your staff is freed up to focus on other top-priority activities that build your business and profits (e.g., customer contact, strategic planning).
6. Freelance writers can produce projects that are more cost-effective than other types of marketing. For example, an article written for a trade journal may produce better results than a more costly advertisement in the same journal, or may be used to boost profits in addition to an ad. And, effective materials created by a freelance writer can successfully generate revenue from your marketing efforts.
7. Using freelance writers is usually less expensive than hiring an agency to do the work or adding another employee to your staff.
8. Freelance writers provide a service that is not an expense, but an investment in your company’s profitability.
5 Sample Pitches to Close the Deal
1. As a skilled, knowledgeable freelance writer, I’m an expert in my niche. I’m familiar with your industry. I’ve written projects similar to the ones you want created.
2. I was referred by [insert the name of the referring person], who has already told you about how I helped boost business for [insert the name of the referring person’s company], and so forth.
3. I’ve helped similar clients [insert testimonials here] by doing [insert specific details of what results you’ve achieved for these other clients].
4. I offer special expertise in [insert differentiation, uniqueness, credentials, etc.].
5. I can help you and your team maximize the success of your business communications. I’ll work as part of your team, optimizing the team’s capabilities. My goal is to help you achieve your project goals and results efficiently and effectively, and even painlessly.
How well do you convince prospective clients that hiring you as a freelance writer is a smart business decision? Use these suggestions to help you land top assignments as a freelance writer and successfully make money writing for desirable clients.