GameSkinny is looking for a Weekend Associate Editor and Freelance Writer. We need one brave, talented, passionate soul who loves games as much as they love the Oxford Comma to guide writers toward greatness.
Search deep within your soul, and ask yourself… are you that editor? This position involves hours on the weekends spent editing content, and writing or coming up with content ideas at any time during the week.
This part-time, hourly, contract position will require:
- Editing articles on GameSkinny with attention to spelling, readability, grammar, accuracy, and entertainment.
- Increasing SEO and search quality of articles.
- Providing helpful, informative, friendly feedback to GameSkinny writers.
- Acting on a genuine desire to help GameSkinny grow as a community, a destination for gamers, and a great place for writers.
- Articulating writing techniques and advice to many levels of English proficiency.
- Providing guidance to our training program members as needed during coverage hours.
- Researching, planning and coming up with a minimum of 40 article ideas per week to be handed out to our writers.
- Writing articles as a freelancer as needed.
- 5-12 hours of editorial coverage spread over each weekend (Saturday and Sunday), depending on content volume.
This is a remote position, but applicants must be within reasonable distance of the Atlanta area, because there are times when we will want to see your shining face in our offices, and we may have opportunities to review physical copies of games and hardware.
You are the right person if you are:
- Experienced – This isn’t your first online publication; you’ve written about gaming before. You either have your own blog or have contributed to an outlet. You know how to write with formatting and SEO keywords in mind.
- Independent and Motivated – You know how to manage your time and are comfortable in an online setting.
- Knowledgeable – Your primary focus is gaming. You do what you write and you know the ins and outs of the industry.
How to Apply
Applications received without the following will be discarded.
Send an email – subject line “Application: Associate Editor” – with your resume attached, to: WriteForUs[at]GameSkinny.com. Note that second-round applicants will be required to edit a sample article.
- Links to other published work. If applicable, please include samples of game guides or product reviews.
- If you are a current writer on GameSkinny, include a link to your profile in your email.
- Must include 3-4 example headlines you think would be successful on GameSkinny (strictly for vetting purposes).
- Include your per article rate based on an 600-1200 word article.
- What games you are currently playing.